Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: X-Men #1

The Kid Is Alright

Either in an effort to skew younger or confirmation of my poor parenting skills (probably both) I asked my oldest daughter if she would like to review X-Men #1 for IiSF?. Like any nine-year-old who's been given the keys to her father's blog, she graciously and enthusiastically accepted. We read the comic together and after a night to 'think about it' she told me what she thought. I typed up those thoughts and present them here with very minimal editing.

X-Men #1 Writer: Brian Wood, Artist: Olivier Coipel, Colors: Laura Martin 

If you're looking for a comic about superhero women X-Men #1 is a great place to start. Every character is electrifying. The writer, Brian Wood, makes everything about this issue what I would call dramatic.

Jubilee was my favorite character because she is so caring and she was willing to take a baby under her wing. I'm really curious about the baby and what's going to happen with Jubilee and their relationship.

The only person who is happy Jubilee has a baby is Kitty. Kitty is a new character for me. I really liked how she could move through solid objects kind of like a ghost. I thought Storm was pretty cool and hardcore. I liked Rogue's super speed. She could fly so fast I bet she could catch up with a cheetah.

I hope that Jubilee and Kitty will soon discover the mystery about the baby. I like how you don't know where the baby came from and how he ended up with Jubilee. There's a great scene when the baby puts its finger to a train's loud speaker you see this electricity shoot through the train. I wonder where the baby gets its power?

There is also a bad guy, sort of, Sublime. His sister is missing. I don't want to spoil anything, but I am very curious about what happens on the last page. Is this Sublime's sister? I'm more interested in how the baby got its powers. I guess I'll have to wait until the next issue.

My favorite panel in the whole book is when Kitty goes into the train. The artist, Oliver Coipel, draws amazing faces. I knew exactly what emotion each character is thinking and feeling just by looking at the picture. It doesn't matter if the characters are having a conversation or on a rescue mission, you have to keep on turning the pages to find out what happens next. I liked all of the detail especially when a train derails.
 
X-Men #1 has so many thrills you have to read the next issue. The ending was so amazing! I think boys, but especially girls will like this comic because it's about girls and it would actually get girls to read more comics.

3 comments:

  1. Best father ever for having your daughter write a post! I really enjoyed her insight and it seems she is developing quite a nice grasp on understanding all of the techniques comic creators use to deliver the story. I hope she keeps reading this series. I am not too much older than her and have a blog of my own. I will be reviewing this same issue very shortly. Keep writing!
    --Sam Roche
    samspulllist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that at nine years old she writes a better comic book review than I ever have is proof that SHE'S A SILVA!

    Well done there, Mr. Father-of-the-year, for raising them right.

    I like how she kind of keyed into what we were talking about at the end of our conversation tonight, too. You are a crafty one, Silva -- very crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review daughter of Keith! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete